Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Author Interview: Nickie Anderson

Nickie Anderson has her Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, which she's put to good use by writing, reading, and tutoring. She loves cooking (because the cook gets dibs on the food!) as well as jogging and biking (because she has to make up for all of the eating!)

She lives in North Carolina with her husband, where they perpetually renovate their home.

Hi Nickie and welcome to Book Worm Brandy!

Q&A

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself!

I was raised a military brat. My dad was in the Marines, so we moved all over the country. I mostly grew up in Central Florida, which is more orange groves and cow pastures than Mickey Mouse.

When I hit college, I had no idea what I wanted to study. I ended up getting my degrees in Marketing and Computer Science (because they're so related, obviously!).

I now live in North Carolina with my husband. When I'm not writing, I'm either tutoring, reading, or working in the garden.

2. What inspired you to write Bright Star?

I think everyone occasionally has those dreams that are so vivid and so real you can't shake them from your head.

This past March, I had one of those dreams. There was a young girl and boy watching a helicopter take off from a military base, and the helicopter crashed. The kids wanted to help the men on board the helicopter, but everyone else on the base forbid them to leave. I kept wondering why the adults wouldn't help, and what would those kids have to go through to find the victims of the crash.

The idea for 'Bright Star' sprouted from that dream. The helicopter became a spaceship (because spaceships are way cooler!), the protagonist became a bit older, but that same kernel is still there.

3. What is the perfect setting for you to do your writing?

Honestly, I'm happy to write anywhere I have a solid internet connection and a mug of coffee. I usually work at home, but sometimes I'll change it up and write at the local library.

4. What does the future hold for you in regards to other works?

I'm planning a few more stories in the 'Bright Star' series. Sadira's adventures aren't quite over yet :) The next book, 'Dark Skies', should be coming out in April 2013.

I usually alternate my novel writing with short stories. If I get frustrated with editing or trying to figure out a plot point, it's nice to take a break and work on something else. I think my next short story will be a 'Hansel and Gretel' retelling (and, of course, my short stories are always free).

I've also been kicking around an idea for a New Adult paranormal series, which you might see out early 2014.

5. Three things you would take for a trip into the desert?

Water, water, and more water! More seriously, I would bring water, a tarp, and a knife. I do a lot of camping and hiking, and I always bring a knife along with me. They're indispensable.

You can find Nickie Anderson here: WEBSITE

Thanks so much Nickie for the interview! I wish you nothing but success!! You are a very gifted writer!!

Come back tomorrow for my review on Bright Star!

No comments:

Post a Comment